Chief of the Internal Medicine at the Landspitali University hospital, Reykjavik (Iceland)
- 1994; 1996-1997 Doctoral Thesis Gothenburg Univ. Post-doc Ann Arbor Michigan
- 2001 Senior registrar at the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford UK.
- 2006 Professor of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in Gothenburg.
- 2008-2009 Sabbatical at the Mayo Clinic Rochester Minnesota.
- 2009 Chief of Gastroenterology and Hepatology the National University of Iceland in Reykjavik.
- 2014 – 2015 Sabbatical at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- 2016 Appointed Professor and Chief of Internal Medicine at the Landspitali National University Hospital of Iceland in June 2016
- 2017 Editor in Chief Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology